Vegan Chickpea Piccata
This vegan take on the classic Italian chicken piccata is sure to satisfy!!
Vegan Chickpea Piccata:
Chickpea Piccata Patty Ingredients:
- 1 (14 oz) Can Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 White Onion (chopped)
- 1/4 C. Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Chickpea & Fava Bean Flour (or preferred all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Granules
- 1.5 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce, tamari sauce)
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Each: Pink Himalayan Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 C. Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (or preferred all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 - 1/2 C. Avocado Oil (or high-heat safe oil; or enough to be 1/4” deep in a frying pan)
Lemon Garlic Caper Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1/4 C. + 1 Tbsp Plant-based Milk
- 2 Garlic Cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp Saucy Lips Zesty Cilantro sauce
- 2 Tsp Capers
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Non-GMO Corn Starch
- Juice of 1/4 Lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Blend patty ingredients (except the 1 C. all-purpose flour) in a food processor or high-speed blender until mostly smooth consistency and then empty into a bowl.
- Using a spoon, scoop ~2 Tbsp’s worth of mixture into your palm and gently form 1/4” thick oblong patties (mimicking a chicken breast cutlet’s shape).
- Place the reserved all-purpose flour onto a plate, spreading out the flour evenly.
- Gently dredge each patty in flour on both sides until well-coated — set aside.
- In a medium to large skillet or frying pan, heat oil on medium/high.
- Gently place 2- 3 dredged patties into oil and fry fro ~2-3 mins on each side (or until golden brown).
- Place fried patties onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake ~20 mins, flipping halfway through.
- While the patties bake, heat a saucepan on medium/high heat.
- Add vegan butter, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper — let simmer for ~3-5 mins or until aromatic.
- Next, whisk in the plant milk, zesty cilantro sauce, and lemon juice.
- Once everything is heated up and well-incorporated, remove 3 Tbsp of sauce base into a small bowl.
- Add the corn starch to the reserved sauce and whisk well to combine.
- Once combined, re-incorporate starch mixture into the saucepan and whisk together.
- Add capers — let cook ~1-2 mins.
- Once everything has finished cooking, plate up and serve with a portion of your favorite pasta or a side of green veggies.
Leave a comment