Jackfruit Tortilla Soup
This delicious and vegan take on the classic Tortilla Soup is sure to satisfy!
- 4 C. Vegetable Broth/Stock
- 10 oz Pack of Tex-Mex seasoned Jackfruit (or 10 oz Jackfruit + taco seasoning)
- 1 (14 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) Can Black Beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1.5 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1.5 C. Frozen Corn
- 1/2 a White Onion (diced)
- 3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Saucy Lips Jalapeño & Green Apple hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- Zest of 1 Lime
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 C. Chopped Fresh Cilantro
Homemade Fried Tortilla Strips:
- 3 (6”) Corn Tortillas (cut into 1/4” wide strips)
- 1/4 C. Avocado Oil (or other high-heat safe oil)
- Optional: Pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium/high heat.
- Add onions — let sauté ~3-5 mins.
- Add garlic — let sauté ~1-2 mins.
- Add: Jackfruit, Tomato Paste, Corn, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Salt, Pepper — stir, let cook ~1-2 mins.
- Add Veggie Broth/stock, Canned Diced Tomatoes, Black Beans — stir, bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer ~15 mins.
- Stir-in Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Jalapeño & Green Apple hot sauce — cover, continue to simmer a final ~5-10 mins.
Fried Tortilla Strips:
- In a medium pan, heat oil over medium/high heat.
- Gently place tortilla strips into the oil, spreading them out so no clumps occur.
- Fry ~3-5 mins., or until golden brown and hard/crisp.
- Transfer fried strips onto paper towels to rid excess oil.
Serve & Garnish:
- Ladle soup into your favorite bowl(s), top with a handful of fried tortilla strips and ~2 Tbsp chopped cilantro.
Leave a comment